home about shop locally featured our homes

2.03.2014

19 week update

We had our first much-anticipated ultrasound last Thursday. I didn't hype it up because honestly, I get a little nervous about it and didn't want the world to know. I feel like a lot of times people focus on the fact that you can find out the sex of the baby and ignore the fact that they are also checking on the baby's well-being and development thus far. Because of that, I was a little nervous. We had heard a good heartbeat before, but this was our first look at the little babe!

Before going in to the hospital, I reviewed some of my favorite blog posts I have read on having boys since I was pretty sure I was going to have another boy (a cup of joe: on having a boy, danielle burkleo: third times the charm?) There is a part of me that has always wanted to a girl and I asked the Lord for a girl, but I also know that doesn't mean that is what is best for me and that God is some sort of genie granting wishes or withholding blessings from me. I also reminded myself of Psalm 127

Children are a heritage from the Lord,
    offspring a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are children born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man
    whose quiver is full of them.

I feel like I went in with a grateful heart that was just grateful for the gift of getting to be a mother and that boy or girl, sick or healthy it is a wonderful gift to get to have children, but nervous still.

We went in Thursday afternoon to the hospital because our midwives do not have an ultrasound tech in the office. Everything checked out great. It did take a long time for the tech to see everything because I have an anterior placenta (again...boo). This means my placenta is on the front of stomach rather than behind the uterus. It is inconsequential and random, but the bummer is that it is harder to feel the baby move.

We did not have her tell us the gender while we were in the office because with Judah we found out just the two of us and it has sort of become our tradition. Anyways, all was well with the baby and we came home and promptly opened the envelope from the nurse. We were both shocked to find "GIRL" written on the card. I feel like once you have had a boy (or girl for that matter) it just feels like most likely you will have the same again. People assumed that and mostly predicted boy and I also think old wives tales are garbage...but that's another post probably.

We called family and some friends and then decided to share it on Facebook, instagram, etc to let people know. Jude was not excited to be a part of impromptu photoshoot...

first he wanted to sit in the Young Life Crazy Creek chair rather than stand by the sign I made...

 So I tried again...but he was way more interested in juice in a mug.
some how I got him to hold up the sign and even part with his pacifier. it had been a long day...we were at the hospital for over an hour doing the ultrasound...(I, of course, had some light pink fringe that I had purchased just in case...)
 then we finally got one worth sharing...
I am still in somewhat of disbelief and may not believe it until I see her, but we are excited to start dreaming about little girl names, walls with gold polka dots and little dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you reading & leaving a comment!